Exemption from paying

Exemption From Paying

You can get free NHS dental treatment at this practice if, when your treatment starts, you are:

  • Under 18, or 18 and in full-time education;
  • Pregnant, or you’ve had a baby in the 12 months before treatment starts;
  • If you or your partner (including civil partners) get Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance;
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit Guarantee Credit;
  • If you are named on, or entitled to, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate, or
  • You are named on a valid HC2 certificate.
  • If you are named on a valid HC3 certificate, you may get some help towards the cost of your NHS dental treatment.
  • See below for more information about HC2 and HC3 certificates issued under the NHS Low Income Scheme.

Proof of your entitlement

  • You will be asked to show proof that you’re entitled to help with dental costs. The proof that you need to show will vary, depending on your circumstances. Below are some examples:
  • An official document that shows your name and date of birth, such as your birth certificate, NHS medical card or passport.
  • Current Child Benefit award notice.
  • Letter from your school, college, university or local education authority to prove that you’re in full-time education.
  • MatB1 certificate or NHS prescription maternity exemption certificate.
  • Letter from your Jobcentre Plus office.
  • Award notice from the Pension Centre.
  • Valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate.
  • For more information, see the NHS leaflet Help with health costs (HC11).

NHS Low Income Scheme

If your income is low and you have savings of less than £16,000 (or £23,000 if you are permanently in a care home), you may be entitled to help with your health costs. Your circumstances will be assessed to decide how much, if anything, you should pay towards your health costs, including dental treatment costs.

Depending on the outcome of the assessment, you may qualify for:

A full help HC2 certificate that entitles you to full help with health costs, including dental treatment costs, a limited help HC3 certificate that entitles you to some help with health costs. The certificate tells you how much you will have to pay. Certificates are usually valid for between six months to five years, depending on your circumstances.

The NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) website has more information about the NHS Low Income Scheme, including how to apply. Click here